-   -   formulas appearing as text instead of computing (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/207025-formulas-appearing-text-instead-computing.html)

Papa Jonah

formulas appearing as text instead of computing

We recently changed all of our computers and I am apparently struggling with
new settings. In Excel, I am entering formulas such as =if(Q5=Q4,x,"").
In the cell, it is showing up as entered instead of an "x", "", or some sort
of error.
To further test it, I entered =1+1 into a cell and I did not get 2, but
"=1+1" is visible in the cell.
What setting needs to be fixed?
TIA Papa

David Biddulph[_2_]

formulas appearing as text instead of computing

Tools/ Options/ View:
uncheck Formulas.

If it isn't that, make sure that you don't have the cells formatted as text.
If they are formatted as text, change to general and then re-enter the
formula.
--
David Biddulph

"Papa Jonah" wrote in message
We recently changed all of our computers and I am apparently struggling
with
new settings. In Excel, I am entering formulas such as =if(Q5=Q4,x,"").
In the cell, it is showing up as entered instead of an "x", "", or some
sort
of error.
To further test it, I entered =1+1 into a cell and I did not get 2, but
"=1+1" is visible in the cell.
What setting needs to be fixed?
TIA Papa

sudarsan

formulas appearing as text instead of computing

Hi,

This is the path,
Tools - Options - in View tab - Under windows options - uncheck Formulas
check box

Thanks,

"Papa Jonah" wrote:

We recently changed all of our computers and I am apparently struggling with
new settings. In Excel, I am entering formulas such as =if(Q5=Q4,x,"").
In the cell, it is showing up as entered instead of an "x", "", or some sort
of error.
To further test it, I entered =1+1 into a cell and I did not get 2, but
"=1+1" is visible in the cell.
What setting needs to be fixed?
TIA Papa

Warren Easton

formulas appearing as text instead of computing

If you're using Excel 2007 try the Formulas tab in the Formula Auditing box
there's a Show Formulas option you may have to uncheck this.
--
Regards
Warren

"Papa Jonah" wrote:

We recently changed all of our computers and I am apparently struggling with
new settings. In Excel, I am entering formulas such as =if(Q5=Q4,x,"").
In the cell, it is showing up as entered instead of an "x", "", or some sort
of error.
To further test it, I entered =1+1 into a cell and I did not get 2, but
"=1+1" is visible in the cell.
What setting needs to be fixed?
TIA Papa

Papa Jonah

formulas appearing as text instead of computing

That was it. I have never noticed that before. Thanks,
Papa