-   -   One File Per Window (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/206500-one-file-per-window.html)

shollomon

One File Per Window

I am running Vista SP1 and Excel 2007 fully updated.

Currently when I have one spreadsheet open and then open another from the
Excel menu or by clicking on a file icon, excel opens the second file in the
same window the first file was in. I don't want that, it drives me crazy. I
expect programs to open a new window per file I have open. I want them open
on my desktop simultaneously so I can compare numbers between sheets.

Googling the question give lots of suggestions for people running XP and
older versions of Office but none for my situation (that I can find). How can
I make excel behave the way I wish?

Bob I

One File Per Window

No, if you want separate windows per file, you need to Open another
instance of Excel first, just like you do in Windows XP.

shollomon wrote:

I am running Vista SP1 and Excel 2007 fully updated.

Currently when I have one spreadsheet open and then open another from the
Excel menu or by clicking on a file icon, excel opens the second file in the
same window the first file was in. I don't want that, it drives me crazy. I
expect programs to open a new window per file I have open. I want them open
on my desktop simultaneously so I can compare numbers between sheets.

Googling the question give lots of suggestions for people running XP and
older versions of Office but none for my situation (that I can find). How can
I make excel behave the way I wish?

ShaneDevenshire

One File Per Window

Hi,

If you just want to compare to files you don't need a second instance of
Excel. After you open both files, choose View, Arrange All, and click OK or
select one of the options.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"shollomon" wrote:

I am running Vista SP1 and Excel 2007 fully updated.

Currently when I have one spreadsheet open and then open another from the
Excel menu or by clicking on a file icon, excel opens the second file in the
same window the first file was in. I don't want that, it drives me crazy. I
expect programs to open a new window per file I have open. I want them open
on my desktop simultaneously so I can compare numbers between sheets.

Googling the question give lots of suggestions for people running XP and
older versions of Office but none for my situation (that I can find). How can
I make excel behave the way I wish?

shollomon

One File Per Window

I know I can view multiple files in a singe Excel window, but I want to just
click on a file in windws explorer and have Excel open a new window and
arange them on my desktop, without having to resize the excel window so its
big enough to see both files and then mess with arranging the child windows.
This method probably works fine for people who work wiht excel maximized. I
seldom if ever do.

I understand now that Excel is not designed to work the way I want. Thanks.

Bob I

One File Per Window

Perhaps if you just used the View side by side feature, you could save
"all the messing around"