-   -   Cell Formating Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/206426-cell-formating-excel.html)

JonathanHall

Cell Formating Excel

When I type in the following characters 18E-259 in a cell it automatically
changes the format from General to Scientific. When that happens the
characters that were input are changed by Excel to 1.8E-258.

Can someone tell me why? I have to insert a ' prior to the input characters
in order to be able to have my input show up. And then it is tagged as an
error. I am curious why Excel changes the format to Scientific based on those
characters and why I get an error that has to be ignored.

Thanks for your help!

--
Jonathan Hall
The Atkins Group

Gary''s Student

Cell Formating Excel

That is how Excel works.

Format the cells as Text and Excel will not try to "help" you by changing
your data
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200807