-   -   configuring Excel to read query from sql (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/206363-configuring-excel-read-query-sql.html)

RioDD

configuring Excel to read query from sql

Hello,
I have to extract some data from SQL Server and save it in Excel files. The
data is gathered with SQL queries, using some SQL User Defined Finctions and
several Joins. And I have to send these files to somebody every day.

The question is how do I set this and is there posibility once it is set to
be saved (the configuration i mean) and reused every day so I dont have to
reconfigure it all the time?
Thanks

JCS

configuring Excel to read query from sql

Hi,

Try using MS Query from within Excel. Following is how you would do it in
Excel 2003:

From the Menu bar select:
Data
Import Externla Data
New Database Query
Select <New Data Source
In the "Select a driver for the type of database you want to access" text
box, select
SQL Server
You wll then need to connect to your SQLServer database. Not having done
much of this you should be able to either use the Query by Example or write
your SQL statements. At any rate, you can save thiis query and execute it
anytime you wish. For more info, you might want to Google Microsoft Query.

HTH
John