-   -   formula help.. text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/20628-formula-help-text.html)

Murph

formula help.. text

I am trying to get a series of cells to fill with a color if the word
"insert" is inserted into the first cell.
I.E. cells A2-A5 and cell A2 has "insert" typed in so up to A5 will change
color.

How do I go about doing this?

Duke Carey

Try Format | Conditional Formatting - after selecting cells A2:a5

Then use "Formula is" and type in

=$A2 = "insert"

Then click on the Format button and select the color you want from the
Patterns tab

"Murph" wrote:

I am trying to get a series of cells to fill with a color if the word
"insert" is inserted into the first cell.
I.E. cells A2-A5 and cell A2 has "insert" typed in so up to A5 will change
color.

How do I go about doing this?

Murph

don't i need to define the formula with "istext" or something of that nature?

"Murph" wrote:

I am trying to get a series of cells to fill with a color if the word
"insert" is inserted into the first cell.
I.E. cells A2-A5 and cell A2 has "insert" typed in so up to A5 will change
color.

How do I go about doing this?

Murph

don't i need a formula such as "istext" or something?

"Murph" wrote:

I am trying to get a series of cells to fill with a color if the word
"insert" is inserted into the first cell.
I.E. cells A2-A5 and cell A2 has "insert" typed in so up to A5 will change
color.

How do I go about doing this?

Duke Carey

Nope - just as stated in my original response