-   -   Use of the comma in formatting numbers - Excel 2007 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/206226-use-comma-formatting-numbers-excel-2007-a.html)

Creator

Use of the comma in formatting numbers - Excel 2007

If I attempt to format a cell containing the number 1000000000 so that a
comma separates the thousands I get 1000000,000 instead of 1,000,000,000.

How do I get 1,000,000,000?
--
Creator

Bob I

Use of the comma in formatting numbers - Excel 2007

Format Cells, Number, Number, tick "Use thousands separator"

Creator wrote:

If I attempt to format a cell containing the number 1000000000 so that a
comma separates the thousands I get 1000000,000 instead of 1,000,000,000.

How do I get 1,000,000,000?

Creator

Use of the comma in formatting numbers - Excel 2007

Thanks for the response Bob I. However That's what I've done but I get this
unexpected format. Here's what I mean....

I start with 1000000000
when I select the options as you have said I get 1000000,000 and not
1,000,000,000

That's basically the problem.

--
Creator

Creator wrote:

If I attempt to format a cell containing the number 1000000000 so that a
comma separates the thousands I get 1000000,000 instead of 1,000,000,000.

How do I get 1,000,000,000?

Peo Sjoblom[_2_]

Use of the comma in formatting numbers - Excel 2007

Are you sure your numbers are not text?

Go to a blank cell, format it as

#,##0

then type in

1000000000

If I do that I get

1,000,000,000

however if the value is text and it comes with the last comma
no numerical formats can change it

Peo Sjoblom

Creator wrote:

If I attempt to format a cell containing the number 1000000000 so that
comma separates the thousands I get 1000000,000 instead of
1,000,000,000.

How do I get 1,000,000,000?

Bob I

Use of the comma in formatting numbers - Excel 2007

Interesting, is your region in Windows set to US?

Creator wrote:

Thanks for the response Bob I. However That's what I've done but I get this
unexpected format. Here's what I mean....

I start with 1000000000
when I select the options as you have said I get 1000000,000 and not
1,000,000,000

That's basically the problem.

Creator

Use of the comma in formatting numbers - Excel 2007

Hello Peo, thanks for your input.

I'm absolutely sure that the numbers aren't text. I'd have to admit it's a
bit of a strange (and annoying) problem.If I open the file with an earlier
version of Excel (e.g. 2003) I have no problem.

--
Creator

Creator wrote:

If I attempt to format a cell containing the number 1000000000 so that
comma separates the thousands I get 1000000,000 instead of
1,000,000,000.

How do I get 1,000,000,000?

Creator

Use of the comma in formatting numbers - Excel 2007

Thanks Bob I. That's it.

Strange though. The region was set to English (Trinidad); by the way that's
where I'm located. I changed it to English (US) AND IT WORKED. But in
Trinidad though we don't format numbers that way. Thanks again!
--
Creator

Creator wrote:

Thanks for the response Bob I. However That's what I've done but I get this
unexpected format. Here's what I mean....

I start with 1000000000
when I select the options as you have said I get 1000000,000 and not
1,000,000,000

That's basically the problem.

Bob I

Use of the comma in formatting numbers - Excel 2007

Sorry, I don't know about Trinidad formatting, but if you get what you
need you're welcome, and have a great day!