-   -   How do I assign a value to an Alpha character in order to do calc (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/205071-how-do-i-assign-value-alpha-character-order-do-calc.html)

gail

How do I assign a value to an Alpha character in order to do calc

--
Gail

Teethless mama

How do I assign a value to an Alpha character in order to do calc

Need more info

"Gail" wrote:

--
Gail

Mike H

How do I assign a value to an Alpha character in order to do calc

Try this,

select a cell then
Insert|Name|Define
call the cell (say) A. Click Ok
repeat this and call the next cell B
Put a value in each of those cells

and then try the formula =A*B

Mike

"Gail" wrote:

--
Gail

Gord Dibben

How do I assign a value to an Alpha character in order to do calc

Assume A to Z in D1:D26 and 1 to 26 in E1:E26

In B1 enter =LOOKUP($A1,$D$1:$D$26,$E$1:$E$26)

Enter a letter in A1 to return a number in B1 which you can calculate with.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 08:27:00 -0700, Gail