-   -   Converting a date to text..Format question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/205063-converting-date-text-format-question.html)

JHB

Converting a date to text..Format question

I am attempting to convert a date to text, and am having trouble with
the formatting. Specifically, I wish to convert a date in the form mm/
dd/yyyy to text in exactly the same format.

I am using excel 2000.

Using the command =Text(Text,text-format), I am having trouble with
the format piece.

"Help" tell me that the format code is based on he "format cells
numeric" definitions. My problem is that the code appears to be a
number, and nowhere can I find what number produces what defined text
format!

Can someone either give me the code I need, or point mwe ni the right
direction to get an answwer.

Thanks in advance

Mike H

Converting a date to text..Format question

Maybe

=TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yyyy")

or

=TEXT(DATE(2008,10,4),"mm/dd/yyyy")

Mike

"JHB" wrote:

I am attempting to convert a date to text, and am having trouble with
the formatting. Specifically, I wish to convert a date in the form mm/
dd/yyyy to text in exactly the same format.

I am using excel 2000.

Using the command =Text(Text,text-format), I am having trouble with
the format piece.

"Help" tell me that the format code is based on he "format cells
numeric" definitions. My problem is that the code appears to be a
number, and nowhere can I find what number produces what defined text
format!

Can someone either give me the code I need, or point mwe ni the right
direction to get an answwer.

Thanks in advance

Gord Dibben

Converting a date to text..Format question

=TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yyyy")

Assumes you have a valid date in A1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP