-   -   Lists (Drop down Box) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/205040-lists-drop-down-box.html)

Doug

Lists (Drop down Box)

I have a product list of about 200 items. Is there an easy way to bring up
the items by the first letter of a product.

T. Valko

Lists (Drop down Box)

Assuming you're using a data validtion list.

The easiest least involved way:

Sort your source list and add the first letters needed:

Adam
Allan
Amanda
Becky
Ben
Bert
Connie
Danny
David

Then, in the cell with the drop down type the first letter but *don't* hit
enter, instead, click the drop arrow and the list will "scroll" to the
letter.

There are other methods that are less clunky *but* they're more involved if
you need to use the selection in a formula.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Doug" wrote in message
I have a product list of about 200 items. Is there an easy way to bring up
the items by the first letter of a product.

Dave Peterson

Lists (Drop down Box)

You could apply Data|filter|autofilter (in xl2003 menus) to that column.

Then use a custom filter--begins with X