kittybat

Default Find Matching Records in Two Worksheets

I think my follow-up to my original question got buried in the sands of time
; ) so I am re-posting as a new question. I think the solution given below
should work, but I can't quite get it to go. I need the help of an expert to
"translate" the formula to match my spreadsheet. Please see below for the
original thread:
I think this is the right solution, but I am having trouble getting it to
work. When I remove all the extraneous columns and match my spreadsheets to
the example (ServiceDate is column B, Procedure is column C, and $Billed is
column D) on each sheet, the formula pulls the first Claim# for every line,
whether it has a match or not. If I change the formula to match the location
of my data, the formula returns 0 on each line.

Perhaps if I give you the actual columns for the existing data, there will
be less room for error on my part.

On sheet1, the columns are ServiceDate - col F, Procedure# - col G, $Billed
- col K.
On sheet2, the columns are ServiceDate - col E, Procedure# - col H, $Billed
- col K.

Can you translate the formula to match these data locations? Obviously, I'm
doing it incorrectly.

Thank you!

Kittybat

"Bob Umlas" wrote:

Assuming the fields are in columns A:E, then you need this in Sheet1, cell
F2, for example (on the Smith,John line):
Enter this formula by holding Shift+Ctrl before pressing enter:
=INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,MATCH(B2&C2&E2,Sheet2!A1:A1000&S heet2!B1:B1000&Sheet2!C1:C1000,0))

Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"kittybat" wrote in message
I work at an health insurance company and frequently need to reconcile
reports from our physicians with claim data. I need to find records on

two
different spreadsheets that match on three data points and insert a claim
number on matching records. Here's an example:

Spreadsheet 1, from our physician group, contains treatment data for one
patient.

PhysicianName ServiceDate Procedure# $billed $paid

deductible

Smith,John 12/01/03 99213 75.50 25.00

25.00
Doe,Mary 01/25/04 99215 125.00 90.00

0.00

Spreadsheet 2, from our server, contains claims data for one patient.

Claim# ServiceDate Procedure# $billed $paid

deductible

123456789 12/01/03 99213 75.50 25.00 25.00
123687432 01/27/04 99215 125.00 90.00 0.00

I need to find records on spreadsheet 1 that exactly match spreadsheet 2

on
the fields ServiceDate, Procedure#, and $billed. When a match is found, I
need the corresponding Claim# inserted after the record on spreadsheet 1.

So
on the example data above, the first row would be a match, because all

three
relevant fields are the same. the second row is not a match, because the
ServiceDate field does not match.

I figure that I'll need a combination of MATCH and INDEX, but I haven't

been
able to pin down exactly how to accomplish this. Any help you can give

will
be very much appreciated.

Jim Rech

I hope this works better. The essential thing missing was the absolute
signs ("$"). Also I added asterisks between items to reduce the likelihood
of the false match. Remember this formula has to be put on row 2 (like in
cell A2) and entered via Ctrl-Shift-Enter. And then copied down to the rows
below.

=INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$1000,MATCH(F2&"*"&G2&"*"&K2, Sheet2!$E$2:$E$1000&"*"&Sheet2!$H$2:$H$1000&"*"&Sh eet2!$K$2:$K$1000,0))

--
Jim
"kittybat" wrote in message
> [...]
|
| I need to find records on spreadsheet 1 that exactly match
spreadsheet 2
| on
| the fields ServiceDate, Procedure#, and $billed. When a match is
found, I
| need the corresponding Claim# inserted after the record on
spreadsheet 1.
| So
| on the example data above, the first row would be a match, because
all
| three
| relevant fields are the same. the second row is not a match,
because the
| ServiceDate field does not match.
|
| I figure that I'll need a combination of MATCH and INDEX, but I
haven't
| been
| able to pin down exactly how to accomplish this. Any help you can

kittybat

That's it!!! Thank you so much, your solution works beautifully. Now I've
just got to pick it apart and try to learn from it.......