-   -   Reordering column to match list (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/204747-reordering-column-match-list.html)

Mickoz

Reordering column to match list

Hi,

Im trying to set the order of the list within a column to match that of
another list within the worksheet ie.

A B C D

Swick Northerly Comment about Northerly
Forensics Sebring Comment about Sebring
Sebring Sunline Comment about Sunline
Northerly Forensics Comment about Forensics
Sunline Swick Comment about Swick

Column A is in correct order whereas column C isn't.

Ideally I'm trying to get the contents of column D to correctly match up
with each entry in column A so that there is only the list on the left
followed by the corresponding comment.

I've tried sorting and various other methods without success ... can someone
help?

Sheeloo[_2_]

Reordering column to match list

Can I assume that the 'Comment about Northerly' contains the word 'Northerly'
and so on?

"Mickoz" wrote:

Hi,

Im trying to set the order of the list within a column to match that of
another list within the worksheet ie.

A B C D

Swick Northerly Comment about Northerly
Forensics Sebring Comment about Sebring
Sebring Sunline Comment about Sunline
Northerly Forensics Comment about Forensics
Sunline Swick Comment about Swick

Column A is in correct order whereas column C isn't.

Ideally I'm trying to get the contents of column D to correctly match up
with each entry in column A so that there is only the list on the left
followed by the corresponding comment.

I've tried sorting and various other methods without success ... can someone
help?

Mickoz

Reordering column to match list

The comment doesn't contain the name, it's always in the cell to the left of
it.

"Mickoz" wrote:

Hi,

Im trying to set the order of the list within a column to match that of
another list within the worksheet ie.

A B C D

Swick Northerly Comment about Northerly
Forensics Sebring Comment about Sebring
Sebring Sunline Comment about Sunline
Northerly Forensics Comment about Forensics
Sunline Swick Comment about Swick

Column A is in correct order whereas column C isn't.

Ideally I'm trying to get the contents of column D to correctly match up
with each entry in column A so that there is only the list on the left
followed by the corresponding comment.

I've tried sorting and various other methods without success ... can someone
help?

Sheeloo[_2_]

Reordering column to match list

In B1 enter
=VLOOKUP(A1,C:D,2,false) and copy down...

Once you verify that the you got the right comments in Col B against entries
in Col A,
Select Col B, Edit-Copy then Edit-Paste Special-Values...

You can then delete Col C & D

"Mickoz" wrote:

Hi,

Im trying to set the order of the list within a column to match that of
another list within the worksheet ie.

A B C D

Swick Northerly Comment about Northerly
Forensics Sebring Comment about Sebring
Sebring Sunline Comment about Sunline
Northerly Forensics Comment about Forensics
Sunline Swick Comment about Swick

Column A is in correct order whereas column C isn't.

Ideally I'm trying to get the contents of column D to correctly match up
with each entry in column A so that there is only the list on the left
followed by the corresponding comment.

I've tried sorting and various other methods without success ... can someone
help?

Mickoz

Reordering column to match list

Woohoo vlookup ... works a treat .... had problems at first try with leading
spaces and (160) spaces hampering the process - once they were gone I was
home free - Thank you

"Mickoz" wrote:

Hi,

Im trying to set the order of the list within a column to match that of
another list within the worksheet ie.

A B C D

Swick Northerly Comment about Northerly
Forensics Sebring Comment about Sebring
Sebring Sunline Comment about Sunline
Northerly Forensics Comment about Forensics
Sunline Swick Comment about Swick

Column A is in correct order whereas column C isn't.

Ideally I'm trying to get the contents of column D to correctly match up
with each entry in column A so that there is only the list on the left
followed by the corresponding comment.

I've tried sorting and various other methods without success ... can someone
help?

Sheeloo[_2_]

Reordering column to match list

Great, thanks. I love VLOOKUP (and SUMPRODUCT)

In this particular case you could have used a simple sort on only Col C &
D... you must have tried that but it probably did not work due to 'spaces'