-   -   How do I view ALL Text in a cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/204410-how-do-i-view-all-text-cell.html)

tarat76

How do I view ALL Text in a cell

I have one spreadsheet that will not allow me to see all the text. I need to
change the format, so that as I type it is still visible. Currently I have
an alotted number of characters and when I pass that amount the certain
number of characters are the only ones I see in the cell, but in the formula
bar I see the full amount. Anyone help?

Kevin B

How do I view ALL Text in a cell

The following limitations apply to worksheet entries:

32,767 characters per cell
Only 1,024 display in a cell
All 32,767 display in the formula bar.

You can squeeze some additional display characters beyond the 1,024 by
manually inserting line breaks by pressing <Alt + Enter at each point in
the text where you want to insert a new line.
--
Kevin Backmann

"tarat76" wrote:

I have one spreadsheet that will not allow me to see all the text. I need to
change the format, so that as I type it is still visible. Currently I have
an alotted number of characters and when I pass that amount the certain
number of characters are the only ones I see in the cell, but in the formula
bar I see the full amount. Anyone help?

Gord Dibben

How do I view ALL Text in a cell

You can enter 32767 characters in a cell but the cell will display only 1024
of these.

The formula bar will display all.

To have more display in the cell use Alt + Enter every 100 characters to
introduce an in-cell linefeed.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:37:02 -0700, tarat76
wrote:

I have one spreadsheet that will not allow me to see all the text. I need to
change the format, so that as I type it is still visible. Currently I have
an alotted number of characters and when I pass that amount the certain
number of characters are the only ones I see in the cell, but in the formula
bar I see the full amount. Anyone help?

ShaneDevenshire

How do I view ALL Text in a cell

Hi,

Kevin and Gord both said it! However, in 2007 you can see more characters
in the spreadsheet - 32,768

In 2003 you can see the content of the cell displayed in an object such as a
rectangle. It can show the full 32,768 but of course that is within the
object which sometimes is a solution - if you need to print the contents.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire