-   -   Using Excel to figure the value of "x" in a spreadsheet. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/20431-using-excel-figure-value-%22x%22-spreadsheet.html)

Pam

Using Excel to figure the value of "x" in a spreadsheet.

I have the cost of the product, the percentage of the commission I am paid on
the product and the dollar amount that I want to make in commission. Is
there a way for Excel to figure the "x" amount that will have to be added to
the cost, the sum of which when multilplied by 60% will give me a set amount
of $20.00?u.

Thank you for any help,.

Ron Coderre

Check the Goal Seek functionality in Excel:
ToolsGoal Seek

That will do what you want.

Regards,
Ron

Sunil Jayakumar

Hi Pam,

If you already have the formulae/model set up in Excel, you can use
Toolsgoal Seek to determine the value you require.

If you want to determine the outcome for a number of inputs (similar to goal
seek), it miht be easier to use an array formula

Hope this helps

Sunil Jayakumar

"Pam" wrote in message
I have the cost of the product, the percentage of the commission I am paid
on
the product and the dollar amount that I want to make in commission. Is
there a way for Excel to figure the "x" amount that will have to be added
the cost, the sum of which when multilplied by 60% will give me a set
amount
of $20.00?u.

Thank you for any help,.

www.ayyoo.com/credit-cards.html

Duke Carey

Pam -

No matter what you do, the only number that, when multiplied by 60%, returns
$20 is $33.33.

Duke

"Pam" wrote:

I have the cost of the product, the percentage of the commission I am paid on
the product and the dollar amount that I want to make in commission. Is
there a way for Excel to figure the "x" amount that will have to be added to
the cost, the sum of which when multilplied by 60% will give me a set amount
of $20.00?u.

Thank you for any help,.

CLR

I guess that's why you get the BIG bucks Duke...<g

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Pam" wrote:

I have the cost of the product, the percentage of the commission I am paid on
the product and the dollar amount that I want to make in commission. Is
there a way for Excel to figure the "x" amount that will have to be added to
the cost, the sum of which when multilplied by 60% will give me a set amount
of $20.00?u.

Thank you for any help,.

Tushar Mehta

No need for numeric optimization or even XL. Just algebra.

Suppose the cost is C. Suppose your percent commission is P. Suppose
the $ income from the commission is I. Then,

I=C*P/100.

That yields C=I*100/P.

So, if you want I to be $20 and P is 60%, C must be 20*100/60 = $33.33

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,