-   -   remove comma and text past it in cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/204060-remove-comma-text-past-cell.html)

~barney

remove comma and text past it in cell

Have a spreadsheet of names and addresses. Some address in the column have
"city, state zip". Already have city and zip in next 2 columns for those
entries. I just want to remove everything in the cells to the right of and
including the comma.

Some citys are 2 or 3 words.

Sheeloo[_2_]

remove comma and text past it in cell

If your addresses are in Col A starting in A1
then type the following in B1 and copy down
=LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1)

This will remove everything from the first comma to the end...

Once you get it right you may copy col B and PASTE SPECIAL-VALUES where you
want them.

"~barney" wrote:

Have a spreadsheet of names and addresses. Some address in the column have
"city, state zip". Already have city and zip in next 2 columns for those
entries. I just want to remove everything in the cells to the right of and
including the comma.

Some citys are 2 or 3 words.

Gord Dibben

remove comma and text past it in cell

DataText to ColumnsDelimited by commaNext

Select all columns but the City column and "do not import column"

Finish

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP