ExcelBanter

-   -   how to create and use a new spreadsheet based on a template (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/20362-how-create-use-new-spreadsheet-based-template.html)

Shady April 3rd 05 12:39 PM

how to create and use a new spreadsheet based on a template

how do I create and use a new spreadsheet based on a template?

Don Guillett April 3rd 05 01:21 PM

Am I missing something or will filesaveas help you

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

Jim May April 3rd 05 02:53 PM

Do a Search/find on your local C: drive for *.xlt
this should produce any and all excel templates found.
If you don't find any then you will need to "roll-your-own".
Open a fresh workbook - get everything looking the
way you want it - (set the defaults) - then do a File Save As
and
look for a folder under your Excel installation named
XLStart << any *.xlt files in this folder will auto-load as
Excel is opened. save it as an .xlt (type file) in the XLStart folder.
Name it -- Book.xlt
Close out of Excel Completely
Re-open Excel and it should automatically create "Book1" from
your Book.xlt file (which goes undisturbed). Edit Book.xlt as desired
always saving as XLT type.

If you have any *.xlt files that you found copy and paste into
the XLStart folder

You need first to "create" a template if one doesn't exist

Fadi Chalouhi April 3rd 05 09:50 PM

Hi Shady,

you need to save the template as an .xlt file so that Excel recognizes
that it is indeed an Excel Template. It is recommended to save the
templates in the default directory that Excel provies when you first
select the .xlt option in the Save As dialog.

After you save your template, goto File-- New and you should see your
newly created template there.

HTH

Fadi Chalouhi
http:\\www.chalouhis.com\XLBLOG