-   -   Were did the name excel come from? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/20309-were-did-name-excel-come.html)

Dave Brownewell

Were did the name excel come from?

Bill Sharpe

With a capital "E", Microsoft <g

Bill

Dave Brownewell

"Dave Brownewell" wrote:

Why was the name "Excel" chosen for the products name?

Fredrik Wahlgren

"Dave Brownewell" <Dave wrote in
message ...

I don't know who came up with the name Excel but I distinctly remember that
I have read that MS had come up with many names for their version of the
spreadsheet. One of them was "Mr Speadsheet". It's the same with Widows. The
original name was "Interface Manager" but then someone from the marketing
dept came up with the idea of using the generic name "Windows"

Here's an intersting article aboutthe history of Excel
http://dssresources.com/history/sshistory.html

BTW. History is a reseved word. You can't name a worksheet History

/fredrik

Bill Sharpe

That's a different question than what was asked in the subject line...

Bill

"Dave Brownewell" wrote:

Why was the name "Excel" chosen for the products name?

Debra Dalgleish

According to 'A history of the personal computer: the people and the
technology', by Roy Allan, the name was submitted by a Microsoft branch
manager.

http://collection.nlc-bnc.ca/100/200...er/eBook12.pdf

(see middle of page 21)

Dave Brownewell wrote: