-   -   sort numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/202686-sort-numbers.html)

Free Rider

sort numbers

I have a list of numbers, each entry containing four numbers. I would like
to sort them by finding 3 common numbers.

Pete_UK

sort numbers

Give an example of before and after, so that we might understand your
requirements better.

Pete

On Sep 16, 4:05*pm, Free Rider <Free
wrote:
I have a list of numbers, each entry containing four numbers. *I would like
to sort them by finding 3 common numbers.

Free Rider[_2_]

sort numbers

ok, example:
a list of entries, four random digits, such as 1234, 2347, 8134, 8247, 5743,
etc.
how could i arrange them so that all entries that have for example the
numbers 347 in it (in any order) would be grouped.
Does this help?
Thanks

wrote:
I have a list of numbers, each entry containing four numbers. I would like
to sort them by finding 3 common numbers.

Pete_UK

sort numbers

Well, I still don't know what you want to end up with, but if you put
those numbers in, say, A1:A5 and put 347 in D1, then you can put this
formula in B1:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(A1,ROW(A$1:A$4),1),""&D$1))))

and copy it down to B5 and you will have this:

1234 2 347
2347 3
8134 2
8247 2
5743 3

Then I suppose you could sort A1:B5 using column B in descending order
and column A in ascending order to get this:

2347 3
5743 3
1234 2
8134 2
8247 2

Is that what you had in mind?

Hope this helps.

Pete

wrote:
I have a list of numbers, each entry containing four numbers. *I would like
to sort them by finding 3 common numbers.- Hide quoted text -