-   -   Date Formats (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/202454-date-formats.html)

david d

Date Formats

I am using Excel XP. I have imported a chart from a word processing program,
not Word, into Excel. Everything works find , except for some of the date
entries. I have two columns of dates, one for birth and one for death. In
each column I several entries that will not reform. They show to be either
'general' or 'custom'. I have made several attempts to reformat them to
'date' but they will change

Any Ideas?

Sheeloo

Date Formats

Try the TRIM formula on them...
If it does not work then paste a few examples here...

"david d" wrote:

I am using Excel XP. I have imported a chart from a word processing program,
not Word, into Excel. Everything works find , except for some of the date
entries. I have two columns of dates, one for birth and one for death. In
each column I several entries that will not reform. They show to be either
'general' or 'custom'. I have made several attempts to reformat them to
'date' but they will change

Any Ideas?

Ron Rosenfeld

Date Formats

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 21:27:01 -0700, david d
wrote:

I am using Excel XP. I have imported a chart from a word processing program,
not Word, into Excel. Everything works find , except for some of the date
entries. I have two columns of dates, one for birth and one for death. In
each column I several entries that will not reform. They show to be either
'general' or 'custom'. I have made several attempts to reformat them to
'date' but they will change

Any Ideas?

They are probably there as text, and possibly with non-printing characters or
<space's included.

Try the Data/Text-to-columns wizard, selecting only the one column, and the
appropriate date format for the source data.
--ron