-   -   Change Text Color in one cell based upon entry in referenced cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/202315-change-text-color-one-cell-based-upon-entry-referenced-cell.html)

tee

Change Text Color in one cell based upon entry in referenced cell

I have a row of 21 cells in column A. I have a row of 21 cells in column B.

I want column A4 to change text color based upon number entry into B4.

For instance, if I enter the number 1 into B4, I would like cell A4 text to
change to red.

For instance, if I enter the number 2 into B5, I would like cell A5 text to
change to blue.

I can't use conditional formatting b/c it only gives me up to three
conditions. I need 21 conditions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tee

Sheeloo

Change Text Color in one cell based upon entry in referenced cell

You will have to use a Macro to do this.

You will need to loop through the cells in Col B and upate the
Interior.ColorIndex property of Cell in Col A based on the value in Col B.
Following will color cells A1, A2 and A3 with Yellow, Red, and Green.

Sub ColorCells
Range("A1").Select
With Selection.Interior
.ColorIndex = 6
.Pattern = xlSolid
End With
Range("A2").Select
With Selection.Interior
.ColorIndex = 46
.Pattern = xlSolid
End With
Range("A3").Select
With Selection.Interior
.ColorIndex = 43
.Pattern = xlSolid
End With
End Sub

"Tee" wrote:

I have a row of 21 cells in column A. I have a row of 21 cells in column B.

I want column A4 to change text color based upon number entry into B4.

For instance, if I enter the number 1 into B4, I would like cell A4 text to
change to red.

For instance, if I enter the number 2 into B5, I would like cell A5 text to
change to blue.

I can't use conditional formatting b/c it only gives me up to three
conditions. I need 21 conditions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tee

Bob I

Change Text Color in one cell based upon entry in referencedcell

??? ONLY Two formats to be set. RED or BLUE.

Tee wrote:

I have a row of 21 cells in column A. I have a row of 21 cells in column B.

I want column A4 to change text color based upon number entry into B4.

For instance, if I enter the number 1 into B4, I would like cell A4 text to
change to red.

For instance, if I enter the number 2 into B5, I would like cell A5 text to
change to blue.

I can't use conditional formatting b/c it only gives me up to three
conditions. I need 21 conditions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tee

Gord Dibben

Change Text Color in one cell based upon entry in referenced cell

You need only one condition for each cell if I read your decription
properly.

A4 condition would be =B4=4 format as red

A5 condition would be =B5=5 format as blue

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP