-   -   How can I format the #of decimals, field types, etc. automaticall. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/20229-how-can-i-format-decimals-field-types-etc-automaticall.html)

JOET

How can I format the #of decimals, field types, etc. automaticall.

I am importing a delimited file, it can be a csv, tab delimted, doesn't
matter, but I want it to come up in excel properly formatted to the # of
decimal places each field is formatted with in the delimited file. I also
want zip code to come in with a leading 0, not be interpreted as a number
even though I have enclosed it in quotes.

Dave Peterson

If you double click on a .csv file, excel will open it the way it wants.

If you rename the file to .txt, you could see the import wizard and format each
field as text--but that makes arithmetic a little more difficult. (I wouldn't
do it this way.)

I'd rename the file to .txt and record a macro when I imported it. I'd use
general for the numeric fields and then format those fields after I imported it
(still recording the code).

Then I could just rerun this recorded macro when I wanted to open a text file
(.txt--not .csv) of the same format.

--

Dave Peterson