-   -   Protect worksheet but expand and collapse outline? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/201735-protect-worksheet-but-expand-collapse-outline.html)

Trini_Suize

Protect worksheet but expand and collapse outline?

I'm currently using Excel 2003 and building a spreadsheet that has a lot of
columns and formulae. I protected the sheet and unlocked the relevant cells.
However, before protecting the sheet, I also outlined the sheet making it
easy to expand and collapse the relevant months. But when the sheet is
protected, I lose this functionality. Is there any way to protect the sheet
but still allow users to expand and collapse the relevant months?

Jim Thomlinson

Protect worksheet but expand and collapse outline?

The short answer is no... If you are ok with the macros then it is fairly
easy to get around. You can have a macro that locks the spreadsheet only when
certain areas of the sheet are selected. Otherwise it is unprotected. That is
fairly easy to do...

My preference for such a macros is to protect the sheet whenever the
selected range includes a formula. Otherwise it remains unprotected. In those
cases I just make my headers into formulas to keep them from being
overwritten. That is very easy code to write...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson