-   -   IF statement - Help! (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/20131-if-statement-help.html)

James

IF statement - Help!

I have three columns of data, column A, B & C.

I want to write an IF statement that looks at column A,
and if it either retruns the contents of column B or
column C depending on the match.

eg.
Column A Car
Column B Non public transport
Column C Public transport

If column A = "Car" then return "Non public transport"
else
return "Public transport"

Rowan

In Cell D1 enter =IF(A1="Car",B1,C1)
Copy down as required.

Regards
Rowan

"James" wrote:

I have three columns of data, column A, B & C.

I want to write an IF statement that looks at column A,
and if it either retruns the contents of column B or
column C depending on the match.

eg.
Column A Car
Column B Non public transport
Column C Public transport

If column A = "Car" then return "Non public transport"
else
return "Public transport"

JulieD

Hi James

is this what you're after
=IF(A1="Car",B1,C1)

Cheers
JulieD

--
Cheers
JulieD
"James" wrote in message
I have three columns of data, column A, B & C.

I want to write an IF statement that looks at column A,
and if it either retruns the contents of column B or
column C depending on the match.

eg.
Column A Car
Column B Non public transport
Column C Public transport

If column A = "Car" then return "Non public transport"
else
return "Public transport"

James

Many thanks (again) JulieD and Rowan.

I have three columns of data, column A, B & C.

I want to write an IF statement that looks at column A,
and if it either retruns the contents of column B or
column C depending on the match.

eg.
Column A Car
Column B Non public transport
Column C Public transport

If column A = "Car" then return "Non public transport"
else
return "Public transport"

.

JulieD