-   -   Read data into Excel from COM!? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/20063-read-data-into-excel-com.html)

Russell Seguin

Read data into Excel from COM!?

There appears to be a way to connect to a COMM port to import data directly
into Excel, using a Microsoft Communications Control object inserted from the
Control Toolbox, but I can't find any help on using it. I set the comm port
and communication properties, but nothing happens. I want to capture a data
string coming in every 60 seconds on COM1 from an instrument I have.

Fredrik Wahlgren

"Russell Seguin" wrote in message
There appears to be a way to connect to a COMM port to import data

directly
into Excel, using a Microsoft Communications Control object inserted from

the
Control Toolbox, but I can't find any help on using it. I set the comm

port
and communication properties, but nothing happens. I want to capture a

data
string coming in every 60 seconds on COM1 from an instrument I have.

All I have found is an add-in that does this. I think you would need to code
this in VB6, C#, or C++ if you want to do this yourself

http://www.geocities.com/lyesoft/

/Fredrik