-   -   find text in cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/200598-find-text-cell.html)

Bonnie

find text in cell

Hi,

I am trying to do something like this:

if(instr("ABC",A1),A1,""))

Doesn't work? If ABC is found in A1 I would like to copy A1 to B1 (leave B1
blank if not).

Don Guillett

find text in cell

Did you bother to look in the vba help index for INSTR

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Bonnie" wrote in message

I am trying to do something like this:

if(instr("ABC",A1),A1,""))

Doesn't work? If ABC is found in A1 I would like to copy A1 to B1 (leave
B1
blank if not).

Dave Peterson

find text in cell

Instr is a VBA function.

You can use =search() or =find():

=if(isnumber(search("abc",a1),a1,"")

=find() is case sensitive.
=search() is not.

Another alternative (not case sensitive):

=if(countif(a1,"*abc*")0,a1,"")

Bonnie wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to do something like this:

if(instr("ABC",A1),A1,""))

Doesn't work? If ABC is found in A1 I would like to copy A1 to B1 (leave B1
blank if not).

Dave Peterson

Bonnie

find text in cell

That's what I was looking for Dave. Thanks so much for your kindness in
taking the time.

Bonnie