-   -   retrieving unsaved files (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/200092-retrieving-unsaved-files.html)

Bardia

retrieving unsaved files

I accidentally closed an excell spreadsheet that I had worked on for over an
hour and had not saved. Is there a way to retrieve this file (I'm assuming
that it automatically saves it to a temporary folder???)?

Bob I

retrieving unsaved files

No, only when you OPEN an existing file. The file does not exist yet.

Bardia wrote:

I accidentally closed an excell spreadsheet that I had worked on for over an
hour and had not saved. Is there a way to retrieve this file (I'm assuming
that it automatically saves it to a temporary folder???)?

John C[_2_]

retrieving unsaved files

Unfortunately no. Learn from mistakes.

A habit I have been into is create a file, save as immediately, then begin
working.
--
John C

"Bardia" wrote:

I accidentally closed an excell spreadsheet that I had worked on for over an
hour and had not saved. Is there a way to retrieve this file (I'm assuming
that it automatically saves it to a temporary folder???)?

Bruce Sinclair

retrieving unsaved files

In article , ?B?Sm9obiBD?= <johnc@stateofdenial wrote:
Unfortunately no. Learn from mistakes.

A habit I have been into is create a file, save as immediately, then begin
working.

Yep. :)
That said, isn't there a 'time between autosave' setting somewhere ?
<quick check yep. ... tools/options/save and set your autosave time to
whatever you like.

Bob I

retrieving unsaved files

Bruce Sinclair wrote:

In article , ?B?Sm9obiBD?= <johnc@stateofdenial wrote:

Unfortunately no. Learn from mistakes.

A habit I have been into is create a file, save as immediately, then begin
working.

Yep. :)
That said, isn't there a 'time between autosave' setting somewhere ?
<quick check yep. ... tools/options/save and set your autosave time to
whatever you like.

From help

The AutoRecover and AutoSave features are not a substitute for regularly
saving your work by clicking Save . Manually saving your file is the
surest way to preserve the work you have done.

That said, AutoSave is version dependant, so OP may not even have that.