-   -   Counting # of characters before a certain character (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/199882-counting-characters-before-certain-character.html)

NickPro72

Counting # of characters before a certain character

Here is my example:

1 - fksdlafjd
2 - dklsafj
3 - lkdfjad
10 - salkjdfjdsl
11 - dklsafjsdj;lfdf

I am trying to grab the beginning # and put it in a different cell. This is
the formula that I am trying: =value(left(cell_ref,??????)). This is not
working for me. Any other ideas?

PCLIVE

Counting # of characters before a certain character

Maybe something like this:

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)*1

This assumes that the number is always followed by a space and there are no
spaces before the number.

HTH,
Paul

--

"NickPro72" wrote in message
Here is my example:

1 - fksdlafjd
2 - dklsafj
3 - lkdfjad
10 - salkjdfjdsl
11 - dklsafjsdj;lfdf

I am trying to grab the beginning # and put it in a different cell. This
is
the formula that I am trying: =value(left(cell_ref,??????)). This is not
working for me. Any other ideas?

Mike H

Counting # of characters before a certain character

Try this

=TRIM(LEFT(A1,FIND("-",A1,1)-1))

Drag down.

Mike

"NickPro72" wrote:

Here is my example:

1 - fksdlafjd
2 - dklsafj
3 - lkdfjad
10 - salkjdfjdsl
11 - dklsafjsdj;lfdf

I am trying to grab the beginning # and put it in a different cell. This is
the formula that I am trying: =value(left(cell_ref,??????)). This is not
working for me. Any other ideas?

John C[_2_]

Counting # of characters before a certain character

=VALUE(LEFT(A1,FIND("-",A1)-1))
--
John C

"NickPro72" wrote:

Here is my example:

1 - fksdlafjd
2 - dklsafj
3 - lkdfjad
10 - salkjdfjdsl
11 - dklsafjsdj;lfdf

I am trying to grab the beginning # and put it in a different cell. This is
the formula that I am trying: =value(left(cell_ref,??????)). This is not
working for me. Any other ideas?

NickPro72

Counting # of characters before a certain character

Thank you so much to both of you. That helped out tremendously.