-   -   Negative Number Display -- need Brackets (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/199866-negative-number-display-need-brackets.html)

Rinke Gill

Negative Number Display -- need Brackets

I would like my negative numbers in Excel to display in brackets. This is
what the "accounting" category under "format cells" allowed us to do in the
2003 version. I cannot find a way to do this under any of the category
options in "format cells". It is driving me nuts, please help if anyone knows!

If there is no such option, please update excel 2007 to include this. It is
very important to have this function for us accountants!
--
Rinke

Sheeloo

Negative Number Display -- need Brackets

Go to Format Cells, Choose Custom option and enter #,##0_);[Red]\[#,##0\]

This will show negative numbers in RED and within []. Delete [RED] if you
don't want that.

To display [ you have to add it as \[...

"Rinke Gill" wrote:

I would like my negative numbers in Excel to display in brackets. This is
what the "accounting" category under "format cells" allowed us to do in the
2003 version. I cannot find a way to do this under any of the category
options in "format cells". It is driving me nuts, please help if anyone knows!

If there is no such option, please update excel 2007 to include this. It is
very important to have this function for us accountants!
--
Rinke

Dave Peterson

Negative Number Display -- need Brackets

If you want the ()'s to show up for negative numbers in the format|cells|number
tab, you'll have to change a windows setting.

Windows start button|control panel
regional and language options
regional options tab
click the customize button
currency tab
change the negative currency format to show ()'s.

Rinke Gill wrote:

I would like my negative numbers in Excel to display in brackets. This is
what the "accounting" category under "format cells" allowed us to do in the
2003 version. I cannot find a way to do this under any of the category
options in "format cells". It is driving me nuts, please help if anyone knows!

If there is no such option, please update excel 2007 to include this. It is
very important to have this function for us accountants!
--
Rinke

--

Dave Peterson

Jim Thomlinson

Negative Number Display -- need Brackets

Out on a limb here but IIRC in the 2003 version if you installed XL using
Canada as your location you did not get brackets. I guess they thought us
Canadian accountants didn't use Brackets. The US version has brackets so the
standard fix was to change your location to US... Not sure if that applies to
you or if it has been changed in 2007...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Rinke Gill" wrote:

I would like my negative numbers in Excel to display in brackets. This is
what the "accounting" category under "format cells" allowed us to do in the
2003 version. I cannot find a way to do this under any of the category
options in "format cells". It is driving me nuts, please help if anyone knows!

If there is no such option, please update excel 2007 to include this. It is
very important to have this function for us accountants!
--
Rinke

Peo Sjoblom[_2_]

Negative Number Display -- need Brackets

Either use the shortcut Ctrl + 1 (not 1 on the numpad) and select
accounting, or click the general drop down on the home tab and select
accounting, or right click the cell(s) and select format cells and select
accounting or use a custom format
_($* #,##0.00_);_($* (#,##0.00);_($* "-"??_);_(@_)

I personally dislike 2007 but formatting is certainly not changed or hidden

Peo Sjoblom

"Rinke Gill" wrote in message
I would like my negative numbers in Excel to display in brackets. This is
what the "accounting" category under "format cells" allowed us to do in
the
2003 version. I cannot find a way to do this under any of the category
options in "format cells". It is driving me nuts, please help if anyone
knows!

If there is no such option, please update excel 2007 to include this. It
is
very important to have this function for us accountants!
--
Rinke

Peo Sjoblom[_2_]

Negative Number Display -- need Brackets

Good catch, I forgot about that

Peo Sjoblom

Rinke Gill wrote:

I would like my negative numbers in Excel to display in brackets. This is
what the "accounting" category under "format cells" allowed us to do in
the
2003 version. I cannot find a way to do this under any of the category
options in "format cells". It is driving me nuts, please help if anyone
knows!

If there is no such option, please update excel 2007 to include this. It
is
very important to have this function for us accountants!
--
Rinke

--

Dave Peterson

Jim Thomlinson

Negative Number Display -- need Brackets

General interest... Is that a global change which changes all of the default
number formats or does it only affect the accounting format...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

Rinke Gill wrote:

I would like my negative numbers in Excel to display in brackets. This is
what the "accounting" category under "format cells" allowed us to do in the
2003 version. I cannot find a way to do this under any of the category
options in "format cells". It is driving me nuts, please help if anyone knows!

If there is no such option, please update excel 2007 to include this. It is
very important to have this function for us accountants!
--
Rinke

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Negative Number Display -- need Brackets

It affects currency, too.

I've never seen it affect any custom number format.