-   -   Find and Replace Troubleshoot (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/199736-find-replace-troubleshoot.html)

Larraine

Find and Replace Troubleshoot

When I find and replace using an *, it replaces the actual text with an *
instead of replacing with the text that is already there. I can't figure out
what I am doing wrong.

Cell= 22-SRH059
Find= *-*
Replace= -*
Result= -*

Mike H

Find and Replace Troubleshoot

Larraine,

You don't need the wildcard to find the - in 22-SRH059 simply put - in the
find box but I'm not clear from you post what you want to replace it with. If
you simply want to remove it leave the replace box blank.

Mike

"Larraine" wrote:

When I find and replace using an *, it replaces the actual text with an *
instead of replacing with the text that is already there. I can't figure out
what I am doing wrong.

Cell= 22-SRH059
Find= *-*
Replace= -*
Result= -*

Larraine

Find and Replace Troubleshoot

Mike,
I would like to replace 22-SRH059 with SRH059; however it is not always SRH
- it could be any combination that is why I was using the * as a replacement
value (to replace as is)

"Larraine" wrote:

When I find and replace using an *, it replaces the actual text with an *
instead of replacing with the text that is already there. I can't figure out
what I am doing wrong.

Cell= 22-SRH059
Find= *-*
Replace= -*
Result= -*

steven

Find and Replace Troubleshoot

If you want to simply strip the "22-" from your entry, then replace "22-"
with nothing.

"Larraine" wrote:

When I find and replace using an *, it replaces the actual text with an *
instead of replacing with the text that is already there. I can't figure out
what I am doing wrong.

Cell= 22-SRH059
Find= *-*
Replace= -*
Result= -*

Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_1159_]

Find and Replace Troubleshoot

As long as there is ONLY **one** dash in your cells... select your cells,
call up the Replace dialog box, type *- (that is, asterisk followed by a
dash, nothing else) in the "Find what" field and leave the "Replace with"
field empty... click the "Replace All" button.

Rick

*
instead of replacing with the text that is already there. I can't
figure out
what I am doing wrong.

Cell= 22-SRH059
Find= *-*
Replace= -*
Result= -*

Larraine

Find and Replace Troubleshoot

Rick,

Thanks - what if there are 2 dashes in the cell?

"Larraine" wrote:

When I find and replace using an *, it replaces the actual text with an
*
instead of replacing with the text that is already there. I can't
figure out
what I am doing wrong.

Cell= 22-SRH059
Find= *-*
Replace= -*
Result= -*

Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_1185_]

Find and Replace Troubleshoot

Then the procedure I wrote about might not do what you want... it would
remove everything up to the last dash. So, if you had 123-ABC-DEF in a cell,
the procedure I gave you would leave DEF in the cell.

Rick