-   -   Two COUNTIFs (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/199281-two-countifs.html)

Russell

Two COUNTIFs

I can use COUNTIF to determine the number of times a name shows up in a
column. I want a formula that will determine the number of times that a
certain name in a row also has a lower case x in another column in the same
row. I cannot figure out how to use two COUNTIFs in the same formula.

Thank you for your help.
--
Russell

Gary''s Student

Two COUNTIFs

Use SUMPRODUCT(), it can handle multiple columns and multiple criteria:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000="James"),--(B1:B1000="x"))

See:

Gary''s Student - gsnu200800

"Russell" wrote:

I can use COUNTIF to determine the number of times a name shows up in a
column. I want a formula that will determine the number of times that a
certain name in a row also has a lower case x in another column in the same
row. I cannot figure out how to use two COUNTIFs in the same formula.

Thank you for your help.
--
Russell

Russell

Two COUNTIFs

I have searched various other emails about COUNTIFs and find that the
following formula works:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(Jun_2008!E$2:E$20=A4),--(Jun_2008!K$2:K$20="x"))
--
Russell