-   -   look up word (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/199181-look-up-word.html)

Big Rob

look up word

I am trying to input a word into one cell I want to auto generate the
contents of another cell based on the first input.
I can use Lookup if the first input is a number but this does not seem to
work if the first input is a work or alfa numeric.

Gary''s Student

look up word

Consider using =VLOOKUP()
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200800

"Big Rob" wrote:

I am trying to input a word into one cell I want to auto generate the
contents of another cell based on the first input.
I can use Lookup if the first input is a number but this does not seem to
work if the first input is a work or alfa numeric.

Big Rob[_2_]

look up word

I have tried VLOOKUP but this also does not allow me to use alfa numeric
inputs in the lookup cell, If I used a straight number it wooks fine
returning a work in the cell but not lookup a word and returning a different
word based on the first word.

Big Rob

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Consider using =VLOOKUP()
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200800

"Big Rob" wrote:

I am trying to input a word into one cell I want to auto generate the
contents of another cell based on the first input.
I can use Lookup if the first input is a number but this does not seem to
work if the first input is a work or alfa numeric.

Dave Peterson

look up word

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on troubleshooting =vlookup():
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

Big Rob wrote:

I have tried VLOOKUP but this also does not allow me to use alfa numeric
inputs in the lookup cell, If I used a straight number it wooks fine
returning a work in the cell but not lookup a word and returning a different
word based on the first word.

Big Rob

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Consider using =VLOOKUP()
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200800

"Big Rob" wrote:

I am trying to input a word into one cell I want to auto generate the
contents of another cell based on the first input.
I can use Lookup if the first input is a number but this does not seem to
work if the first input is a work or alfa numeric.

--

Dave Peterson

Gary''s Student

look up word

Here is an example of looking up a text value. Say in A1 thru B17 we have:

Mimas 184
Enceladus 80
Tethys 182
Dione 5
Rhea 177
Titan 71
Hyperion 127
Iapetus 161
Erriapus 82
Phoebe 187
Janus 122
Epimetheus 117
Helene 7
Telesto 130
Calypso 199
Kiviuq 177
Atlas 54

The formula:

=VLOOKUP("Titan",A1:B17,2,FALSE) correctly returns 71
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200800

"Big Rob" wrote:

I have tried VLOOKUP but this also does not allow me to use alfa numeric
inputs in the lookup cell, If I used a straight number it wooks fine
returning a work in the cell but not lookup a word and returning a different
word based on the first word.

Big Rob

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Consider using =VLOOKUP()