-   -   Stange numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/199018-stange-numbers.html)

pgarcia

Stange numbers

Hello all,
Some one in my office has ask me for help and I could not figure this out.
The setup:you have a set of rows with number and those number are formatted
with "Accounting" two decimals no symbol. When doing a manual sum or using
the AutoSum, whey would my number come out like so 0.00 and not a dash? If
you increase the decimal out there is a number, 0.00000000000000164316543.
?? The number are whole numbers, e.g. 24.25, 100.25, 562.64 ect.

Thanks

Gary''s Student

Stange numbers

You may want to use the =ROUND() function to insure only two places are held.
This is in addition to formatting, which insures only two places are visible.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200800

"pgarcia" wrote:

Hello all,
Some one in my office has ask me for help and I could not figure this out.
The setup:you have a set of rows with number and those number are formatted
with "Accounting" two decimals no symbol. When doing a manual sum or using
the AutoSum, whey would my number come out like so 0.00 and not a dash? If
you increase the decimal out there is a number, 0.00000000000000164316543.
?? The number are whole numbers, e.g. 24.25, 100.25, 562.64 ect.

Thanks

T. Valko

Stange numbers

It's a "rounding issue" that occurs when converting binary to decimal.

Use the ROUND function:

=ROUND(SUM(A1:A10),2)

--
Biff