-   -   Sum or Sumif (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/1987-sum-sumif.html)

Frank Kabel

Hi
use SUMPRODUCT. See:

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany
"HGood" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I'm designing a Expense Journal entry form. It has various columns as
ranges which are named. In the data entry sheet, the named columns
affecting this question are
Project (e.g. 064, 155, etc)
Account (e.g. Equipment, Travel, etc)
Amount (e.g. $233.23, etc)

In a separate, adjacent table with 20 official account categories in one
column (named Categories), and five "Project" numbers in the next five
columns, I'm trying to sum all the Amounts which match the Account and put
the Account Category sum into the respective Project column.

My understanding is that Sumif can only be used with only a single
comparison criterion, but I have two. So it seems I need to use the Sum
array.
where L4 is the first of the 20 account categories in the account column
L, and N1 is the first of the five project columns.

The summary would occur to the right of the Categories column (in 20 rows)
and under the five respective Project columns.

The data I'm trying to summarize is about 50-100 lines of expenses that
get entered each month.

I've tried:

={SUM((Account=L4)*(Project=$N$1)*Amount)} and
={SUM((Account=L4:L23)*(Project=$N$1)*Amount)} and
={SUM((Account=Categories)*(Project=$N$1)*Amount)} but can't get any of
them to work

Any help would sure be appreciated.

Harold

HGood