-   -   Formula problem - IDIRECT? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/198344-formula-problem-idirect.html)

Andrew Mackenzie

Formula problem - IDIRECT?

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this formula.:

=INDEX(file.xls!dciJun2008Gross,MATCH(L17,file.xls !ACNoGross,0)))

The formula works and uses INDEX and MATCH as an alternative to a VLOOKUP.
It is intended to return the contents in a range named dciJun2008Gross where
L17 (L17 could be a named range but I haven't yet done so) matches with the
range ACNoGross.

As I say, the formula works but I want the range name dciJune2008Gross to
refer to whatever I put in another cell. e.g if I change the contents to
the cell Q5 to Jul2008 then the reference will be to a range named
dciJul2008Gross.

I assume that the IDIRECT function with some concatenation could be used
somehow but I can't quite figure out how.

I hope I have explained this clearly enough and thanks in advance for any
assistance.

Cheers,

Andrew