-   -   Why it does not show formula? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/197746-why-does-not-show-formula.html)

Eric

Why it does not show formula?

When I type = sum(A1:A3) in cell A4, it shows statement as a text rather than
a formula. Does anyone have any suggestions what cause this probelm?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Mike H

Why it does not show formula?

Hi,

This would happen if the cell was formatted as text when you entered the
formula so:-

Select the cell and format as General
Tap F2
Tap enter

Mike

"Eric" wrote:

When I type = sum(A1:A3) in cell A4, it shows statement as a text rather than
a formula. Does anyone have any suggestions what cause this probelm?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

David Biddulph[_2_]

Why it does not show formula?

I guess that your cell is formatted as text. Format it as General or
Number, and re-enter the formula.
--
David Biddulph