Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default error "Excel has found unreadable Content"

I created a large multi-sheet workbook with lots of Vba macro stuff.

This worksheet has been working fine until lately. Just recently after some
minor revisions I saved the file as I always have. The file will open fine,
but as soon as make even a minor edit and save the file, the next time I go
to open the file I get the following error message:
"Excel found unreadable content in "*****.xls" Do you want to recover the
contents of this workbook?"

If I answer "yes" and open the file all of the formatting and background Vba
code is gone.

Any suggestions how I can test the worksheet for unreadable content prior to
saving?

--
Thanks for your help

JLMHoss :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Make sure you are saving the file on the same version of excel you are using.
Try doing a SAVEAS to a new filename and the re-opening the new file.

You may want to search for "corrupted" at this site to see other solutions.
the last time I ran into this problem was in a posting a couple of weeks ago
Can't find the posting. But a person was sending files to multiple coutries
and depending on which county saved the file and which one opened the file
the same error message came up.

"JLMHoss" wrote:

I created a large multi-sheet workbook with lots of Vba macro stuff.

This worksheet has been working fine until lately. Just recently after some
minor revisions I saved the file as I always have. The file will open fine,
but as soon as make even a minor edit and save the file, the next time I go
to open the file I get the following error message:
"Excel found unreadable content in "*****.xls" Do you want to recover the
contents of this workbook?"

If I answer "yes" and open the file all of the formatting and background Vba
code is gone.

Any suggestions how I can test the worksheet for unreadable content prior to
saving?

--
Thanks for your help

JLMHoss :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for resonding Joel.

I experience this issue mostly when saving the current version to a file
with a new name. This does not happen every time either. It happens about 3
in 4 saves.

--
Thanks for your help

JLMHoss :)

"JLMHoss" wrote:

I created a large multi-sheet workbook with lots of Vba macro stuff.

This worksheet has been working fine until lately. Just recently after some
minor revisions I saved the file as I always have. The file will open fine,
but as soon as make even a minor edit and save the file, the next time I go
to open the file I get the following error message:
"Excel found unreadable content in "*****.xls" Do you want to recover the
contents of this workbook?"

If I answer "yes" and open the file all of the formatting and background Vba
code is gone.

Any suggestions how I can test the worksheet for unreadable content prior to
saving?

--
Thanks for your help

JLMHoss :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sometimes an excel workbook will get corrupted. Usually it is an internal
link that can't be fixed. when this hppens I'm usually forced to copy each
sheet of the workbook to a new workbook and copy all the macros.

It is easy to copy the worksheets by highlighting all of the using the
bottom tab on the worksheets. Select the 1st worksheet on original workbook.
Then hold the shift key down and select the last worksheet. All the
worksheets are now selected. Then right click a tab and ".select Move or
copy". Change the pulldown tab to (new workbook).

"JLMHoss" wrote:

I created a large multi-sheet workbook with lots of Vba macro stuff.

This worksheet has been working fine until lately. Just recently after some
minor revisions I saved the file as I always have. The file will open fine,
but as soon as make even a minor edit and save the file, the next time I go
to open the file I get the following error message:
"Excel found unreadable content in "*****.xls" Do you want to recover the
contents of this workbook?"

If I answer "yes" and open the file all of the formatting and background Vba
code is gone.

Any suggestions how I can test the worksheet for unreadable content prior to
saving?

--
Thanks for your help

JLMHoss :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

i got this same message after installing a trial version of Microsoft
Outlook. When I go to an email with an Exceln attachment, it gives me this
message. Then when I open it, it comes in a format not like the original. I
am totally computer iliterate so I'm at a loss. I also tried to open
previous Excel documents not in an email and same thing happens.

Why can't I open this attachment like normal as before. I Had Excel, Word
and Outlook Express.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I need to know a few answers

1) Can you open Excel files using shortcuts? OPen a window explorer by
right Click START button on an select explore. Find an Excel file and double
click. does it open. This is to test that the problem is only an E-Mail
problem

2) Save an Excel file that was recieved by e-Mail. From Outlook menu File -
Save Attachments. Save the Excel file to a file. Then OPen up Excel. From
Excel menu File - OPen - find the saved file and select. Do the file open.

3) Can you open a Excel file that wasn't recieved by E-Mail. Open excel and
follow step 2 except open a file that wasn't recieved by E-Mail. Make sure
Excel is still working.

"Evi" wrote:

i got this same message after installing a trial version of Microsoft
Outlook. When I go to an email with an Exceln attachment, it gives me this
message. Then when I open it, it comes in a format not like the original. I
am totally computer iliterate so I'm at a loss. I also tried to open
previous Excel documents not in an email and same thing happens.

Why can't I open this attachment like normal as before. I Had Excel, Word
and Outlook Express.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ANSWERS IN BOLD BELOW

"Joel" wrote:

I need to know a few answers

1) Can you open Excel files using shortcuts? OPen a window explorer by
right Click START button on an select explore. Find an Excel file and double
click. does it open. This is to test that the problem is only an E-Mail
problem. YES, EXCEL HAS FUND UNREADABLE...

2) Save an Excel file that was recieved by e-Mail. From Outlook menu File -
Save Attachments. Save the Excel file to a file. Then OPen up Excel. From
Excel menu File - OPen - find the saved file and select. Do the file open. YES, SAME EXCEL HAS FOUND UNREADABLE ..
3) Can you open a Excel file that wasn't recieved by E-Mail. Open excel and
follow step 2 except open a file that wasn't recieved by E-Mail. Make sure
Excel is still working. YES

WHEN I'M OPENING UP FROM THE EMAIL THE FORMAT IS GONE THAT WAS
ORIGINAL...LIKE SPACING, COLOR, FONT it seems..

"Evi" wrote:

i got this same message after installing a trial version of Microsoft
Outlook. When I go to an email with an Exceln attachment, it gives me this
message. Then when I open it, it comes in a format not like the original. I
am totally computer iliterate so I'm at a loss. I also tried to open
previous Excel documents not in an email and same thing happens.

Why can't I open this attachment like normal as before. I Had Excel, Word
and Outlook Express.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know for sure but I suspect it has to do with the version of excel
that Outlook is opening. the reason is because you are opening the file but
loosing some of the format information. Do you have more than one version of
Excel Installed on your computer, or did you upgrade excel from an older
version sometime in the past

Was the Excel file you were opening excel 2007?

You may want to saveas excel files as differnt version of excel and see
which version will work with outlook and which versions will not work.

Ecel is lkoaded on computers in a directory like this

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10

You may have Office 11, office12 or some othe directory similar to the one
above. when you install newer versions of excel it increases the number of
the Office directory.

"Evi" wrote:

ANSWERS IN BOLD BELOW

"Evi" wrote:

i got this same message after installing a trial version of Microsoft
Outlook. When I go to an email with an Exceln attachment, it gives me this
message. Then when I open it, it comes in a format not like the original. I
am totally computer iliterate so I'm at a loss. I also tried to open
previous Excel documents not in an email and same thing happens.

Why can't I open this attachment like normal as before. I Had Excel, Word
and Outlook Express.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

joel,

i have no idea if i have 2 versions. i had excel and it just disappeared
when i loaded microsoft office (trial). ever since then, it won't open
correctly. i don't know what version i have at work (where the file came
from). i'll check tomorrow. don't think i ever upgraded excel since i've
had this pc for about 2 yrs with the same word/excel, etc. on it at home.
it's a desktop.

on the trial version i guess i downloaded excel 2007? hell i don't know!!!
however, i did check the directory and it says microsoft office 10 with a
blank word document then microsoft office 12 with a whole bunch of icons.

"Joel" wrote:

I don't know for sure but I suspect it has to do with the version of excel
that Outlook is opening. the reason is because you are opening the file but
loosing some of the format information. Do you have more than one version of
Excel Installed on your computer, or did you upgrade excel from an older
version sometime in the past

Was the Excel file you were opening excel 2007?

You may want to saveas excel files as differnt version of excel and see
which version will work with outlook and which versions will not work.

Ecel is lkoaded on computers in a directory like this

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10

You may have Office 11, office12 or some othe directory similar to the one
above. when you install newer versions of excel it increases the number of
the Office directory.

"Evi" wrote:

ANSWERS IN BOLD BELOW

"Evi" wrote:

i got this same message after installing a trial version of Microsoft
Outlook. When I go to an email with an Exceln attachment, it gives me this
message. Then when I open it, it comes in a format not like the original. I
am totally computer iliterate so I'm at a loss. I also tried to open
previous Excel documents not in an email and same thing happens.

Why can't I open this attachment like normal as before. I Had Excel, Word
and Outlook Express.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I suspect after you open excel you look at menu Help - About you will see two
different versions of Excel (one if you open excel in an e-mail and one
normal open). the trial version of Outlook probably opened a version of
excel that was missing updates. One thing you can try is to go to
Microsoft.com and get the latest updates. This may fix the problem. Office
2007 out-of-the-box has a lot of bugs that need the latest fixes to work
properly.

There also may be a was to get Outlook to open the older version of excel
that is installed on your PC. I would recommend trying the Office Updates
first from Microsoft.com

"Joel" wrote:

I don't know for sure but I suspect it has to do with the version of excel
that Outlook is opening. the reason is because you are opening the file but
loosing some of the format information. Do you have more than one version of
Excel Installed on your computer, or did you upgrade excel from an older
version sometime in the past

Was the Excel file you were opening excel 2007?

You may want to saveas excel files as differnt version of excel and see
which version will work with outlook and which versions will not work.

Ecel is lkoaded on computers in a directory like this

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10

You may have Office 11, office12 or some othe directory similar to the one
above. when you install newer versions of excel it increases the number of
the Office directory.

"Evi" wrote:

ANSWERS IN BOLD BELOW

"Evi" wrote:

i got this same message after installing a trial version of Microsoft
Outlook. When I go to an email with an Exceln attachment, it gives me this
message. Then when I open it, it comes in a format not like the original. I
am totally computer iliterate so I'm at a loss. I also tried to open
previous Excel documents not in an email and same thing happens.

Why can't I open this attachment like normal as before. I Had Excel, Word
and Outlook Express.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

well joel, i give up. i did the microsoft updates and its current. i only
needed microsoft office to hook up to my blackberry i just got. i think i'm
gonna get a computer guy out here or at least call someone.

thanks for trying.

evi