-   -   How to change sheet names via formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/196579-how-change-sheet-names-via-formula.html)

Arlen

How to change sheet names via formula

Hello Everyone!

I have 5 sheets with different city names. On another sheet, called
Compare, the user selects the city, which populates B2.

In yet another sheet, I started with the formula =Compare!B2, which
successfully returned the selected city. However, I don't want the city
name, I only want it as a preface to switch to the appropriate sheet before
grabbing the data.

So I tried =(Compare!B2)!I2, I was hoping that the parentheses would switch
to the sheet that matched the city in B2 and return the value in I2, but no.

Does anyone know how to use a sheet name in a formula?

Thank you for your time.

Arlen

Bob Phillips

How to change sheet names via formula

=INDIRECT("'"&Compare!B2&"'!I2")

--
HTH

Bob

"Arlen" wrote in message
Hello Everyone!

I have 5 sheets with different city names. On another sheet, called
Compare, the user selects the city, which populates B2.

In yet another sheet, I started with the formula =Compare!B2, which
successfully returned the selected city. However, I don't want the city
name, I only want it as a preface to switch to the appropriate sheet
before
grabbing the data.

So I tried =(Compare!B2)!I2, I was hoping that the parentheses would
switch
to the sheet that matched the city in B2 and return the value in I2, but
no.

Does anyone know how to use a sheet name in a formula?

Thank you for your time.

Arlen

Bernie Deitrick

How to change sheet names via formula

=INDIRECT("'" & Compare!B2 & "'!I2")

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Arlen" wrote in message
Hello Everyone!

I have 5 sheets with different city names. On another sheet, called
Compare, the user selects the city, which populates B2.

In yet another sheet, I started with the formula =Compare!B2, which
successfully returned the selected city. However, I don't want the city
name, I only want it as a preface to switch to the appropriate sheet before
grabbing the data.

So I tried =(Compare!B2)!I2, I was hoping that the parentheses would switch
to the sheet that matched the city in B2 and return the value in I2, but no.

Does anyone know how to use a sheet name in a formula?

Thank you for your time.

Arlen

Arlen

How to change sheet names via formula