-   -   Formula too long---is there another way (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/196576-formula-too-long-there-another-way.html)

Roxie

Formula too long---is there another way

What is the easiest way to set up a spreadsheet where I can enter a code (Job
code) in one cell and have the description come up in another cell?

I have over 20 job codes and the IF formula will only go to 7.

Thank you.

--
Roxie

Mike H

Formula too long---is there another way

roxie

Somewhere out of the way build yourself a table that looks like this

1 Job 1
2 Job 2
3 Job 3
Etc

Then if you enter a job code in (say) a1in the adjacent cell have this
formula
=VLOOKUP(A1,M1:N3,2,FALSE)

In my case the (Shortened) table is in M1 - N3

Mike

"Roxie" wrote:

What is the easiest way to set up a spreadsheet where I can enter a code (Job
code) in one cell and have the description come up in another cell?

I have over 20 job codes and the IF formula will only go to 7.

Thank you.

--
Roxie

Roxie

Formula too long---is there another way

Thank you!
--
Roxie

"Roxie" wrote:

What is the easiest way to set up a spreadsheet where I can enter a code (Job
code) in one cell and have the description come up in another cell?

I have over 20 job codes and the IF formula will only go to 7.

Thank you.

--
Roxie

Roxie

Formula too long---is there another way

Now, I have another question:

Can I put the table on another sheet? If so, how?

Ok, so it was 2 questions.

Thank you.
--
Roxie

"Roxie" wrote:

What is the easiest way to set up a spreadsheet where I can enter a code (Job
code) in one cell and have the description come up in another cell?

I have over 20 job codes and the IF formula will only go to 7.

Thank you.

--
Roxie

Jacinthe

Formula too long---is there another way

Sure can. Just click over to the other sheet and select your cell references
from there (like you would if it was in the same sheet).

"Roxie" wrote:

What is the easiest way to set up a spreadsheet where I can enter a code (Job
code) in one cell and have the description come up in another cell?

I have over 20 job codes and the IF formula will only go to 7.

Thank you.

--
Roxie

manas

In Excel Sheet "Formula is too long"

"Manas" Orissa- India wrote:
In excel sheet i face the problem at Row 2325 Column "M" when i click at
sum function mark for calculating it shows "FORMULA IS TOO LONG". If i will
ignour it and continue my work in excel sheet, then can i face any problem
after it ?,. please suggest me about this by my e-mail address.
. "OR" manas _plb@ yahoo.co.in
thanking you

"Roxie" wrote:

What is the easiest way to set up a spreadsheet where I can enter a code (Job
code) in one cell and have the description come up in another cell?

I have over 20 job codes and the IF formula will only go to 7.

Thank you.

--
Roxie

Dave Peterson

In Excel Sheet "Formula is too long"

What is the formula you see in the formula bar when M2325 is selected?

What version of excel are you using?