-   -   How can I hide a formula in Excel 2007 from other users seeing it (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/195827-how-can-i-hide-formula-excel-2007-other-users-seeing.html)

Carrie

How can I hide a formula in Excel 2007 from other users seeing it

I'm creating a spreadsheet for other users to enter data in and one of the
cells has a formula that I don't want them to see. I've got it to where I
can hide it on the first row but when I tab down to the next row it won't let
me enter any data. Is there a way to hide the formula in that column without
messing up the rest?

Elkar

How can I hide a formula in Excel 2007 from other users seeing it

To Hide a formula:

- Select the cell(s) with formulas to hide
- Right-Click one of those cells
- Select "Format Cells..."
- Choose the Protection Tab
- Check the "Hidden" and "Locked" boxes
- OK (Note that the formulas will not actually be hidden until the
worksheet is Protected. See below.)

Now to allow other cells to have data entered:

- Select the cell(s) for data entry
- Right-Click one of the cells
- Select "Format Cells..."
- Choose the Protection Tab
- Uncheck the "Hidden" and "Protection" boxes
- OK

Now, Protect your worksheet. On the Review Tab, click the "Protect Sheet"
button.

That should do it.

HTH
Elkar

"Carrie" wrote:

I'm creating a spreadsheet for other users to enter data in and one of the
cells has a formula that I don't want them to see. I've got it to where I
can hide it on the first row but when I tab down to the next row it won't let
me enter any data. Is there a way to hide the formula in that column without
messing up the rest?

Bob Umlas, Excel MVP

How can I hide a formula in Excel 2007 from other users seeing it

Another way is to define it as a name, then hide the name. For example, if
yuor formula is =VLOOKUP(A1,table,2,False) then define a name, like
"MySecretFormula" and have it refer to
=VLOOKUP(A1,Table,2,False)
then in VBA you can use the immediate window to hide the name:
Activeworkbook.names("MySecretFormula").Visible=Fa lse

and from then on use =MySecretFormula instead of the VLOOKUP!

"Carrie" wrote:

I'm creating a spreadsheet for other users to enter data in and one of the
cells has a formula that I don't want them to see. I've got it to where I
can hide it on the first row but when I tab down to the next row it won't let
me enter any data. Is there a way to hide the formula in that column without
messing up the rest?

peyman

How can I hide a formula in Excel 2007 from other users seeing

Hi Bob,
How come if somebody goes to VBA and see the formula?! Is there any way to
hide it in VBA and see it with a password or something?!
Thanx,
peiman