-   -   Dating a file. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/195781-dating-file.html)

Matt S

Dating a file.

What can I add to a file, that I send out periodically, to date stamp that
version of the file?
--
Matt S

John C[_2_]

Dating a file.

Well, you could just put the date in the filename itself....such as..

Myfile 07 22 08.xls
--
John C

"Matt S" wrote:

What can I add to a file, that I send out periodically, to date stamp that
version of the file?
--
Matt S

Matt S

Dating a file.

OK That would work but I was looking for a seemless approach. I mean I don't
want to have to add todays date to the file manually.

Can I use the Today() function and some how cause it to be locked so that
when someone looks at the file at a later date it won't show that date?
--
Matt S

"Matt S" wrote:

What can I add to a file, that I send out periodically, to date stamp that
version of the file?
--
Matt S

John C[_2_]

Dating a file.

Well, if it were to 'somehow' be locked, i.e.: upon saving, you may
inadvertantly lock it as well. There will be something that you will need to
do to the file, either typing in the date in a cell, or using a naming
convention for the file name for a copy of the file, in any case. The
advantage of the naming convention that I have suggested, is that if you also
keep a history of all the 'old' files, then if there is ever any question,
you do not have to recreate any of the older versions, just open the one with
the approrpriate date.

Just my 2 cents.
--
John C

"Matt S" wrote:

What can I add to a file, that I send out periodically, to date stamp that
version of the file?
--
Matt S

Gord Dibben

Dating a file.

You just hit CTRL + ;(semi-colon) to enter a fixed date in a cell.

There are several other methods using VBA to place the last saved date in a
cell or header/footer or a msgbox that pops up when user opens the file.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP