-   -   Excel 2007 automatically corrupts my data!! (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/195550-excel-2007-automatically-corrupts-my-data.html)

Valerie

Excel 2007 automatically corrupts my data!!

Hello,

I am doing something very simple. I am trying to enter a number with 16
digits into a cell. The default number format is "General". The number I want
to enter is 5693400088118619.

However, the number that appears is: 5.6934E+15

When I change the number format to number with no decimal places, the number
has changed to 5693400088118610. Notice that the last number is a 0 instead
of a 9.
How can I stop Excel from corrupting my data?

Thanks!

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 2007 automatically corrupts my data!!

This is not unique for Excel 2007, Excel has 15 digits precision and will
truncate digits after the 15th.
Precede the entry with an apostrophe ' or format as text before you enter
these numbers.

Peo Sjoblom