-   -   Is it possible to sort a protected worksheet? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/1953-possible-sort-protected-worksheet.html)

Phyllis

Is it possible to sort a protected worksheet?

I have a worksheet that I've protected all the cells that
contain formulas so that other user's can't inadvertently
delete them. However, I need to be able to sort the data,
but it's not an option when the sheets protected. Any
suggestions?

Don Guillett

turn on macro recorder
unprotect
sort
protect

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Phyllis" wrote in message
I have a worksheet that I've protected all the cells that
contain formulas so that other user's can't inadvertently
delete them. However, I need to be able to sort the data,
but it's not an option when the sheets protected. Any
suggestions?

Frank Kabel

Hi
only possible using VBA (first unprotecting the sheet, then sorting and
protecting the sheet again)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
"Phyllis" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have a worksheet that I've protected all the cells that
contain formulas so that other user's can't inadvertently
delete them. However, I need to be able to sort the data,
but it's not an option when the sheets protected. Any
suggestions?

Phyllis

Thanks. I tried that and I get a message that the project
is locked, and it won't record the macro.
only possible using VBA (first unprotecting the sheet,

then sorting and
protecting the sheet again)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany
"Phyllis" schrieb im

Newsbeitrag
I have a worksheet that I've protected all the cells that
contain formulas so that other user's can't

inadvertently
delete them. However, I need to be able to sort the

data,
but it's not an option when the sheets protected. Any
suggestions?

.

Frank Kabel

Hi
o.k. then you first have to unprotect your workbook

--
[...]

Dave Peterson

Unprotect the project in the VBE--not unprotect the workbook in excel.

(In the OP's other thread, the thought of a Shared workbook was discussed, too.)

Frank Kabel wrote:

[...]

Dana DeLouis

I have a worksheet that I've protected ...

Don't know if this would apply, but in the latest versions of Excel, when
you go
Tools | Protection | Protect Sheet
you can select "Allow all users of this worksheet to:"
and select "Sort", which is nearer the bottom of the list.

--
Dana DeLouis
Win XP & Office 2003

Frank Kabel wrote:

[...]

mnbv

does selecting 'sort' work?

in the protect menu i have ticked 'autofilter' and i can use autofilter, and
i have ticked 'sort', but i can't use sort - is this a bug, or am i missing
something? (using excel 2002)

Frank Kabel wrote:

[...]

i think i know what i was missing - you can't sort (but can filter) locked
cells