-   -   numbering rows in order 1 through whatever, then changing. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/192141-numbering-rows-order-1-through-whatever-then-changing.html)

PO1Draco

numbering rows in order 1 through whatever, then changing.

I need to number rows from 1 to whatever, then change SOME of the numbers to
letters without continuing the numbers in order. So I first need to number
100 rows 1 through 100. Then I may need to change some of those numbers to
letters. Rows would look like 1, 2, 3, 4......up to 100. Then I may need to
change 20 through 25 to A, B, C, D, E with the next rows labled 26 on to 100.

Gord Dibben

numbering rows in order 1 through whatever, then changing.

Enter 1 in A1

Right-click on fill handle and drag to A100.

Release button and "Fill Series"

Select A20 and start typing the letters.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP