-   -   how to stop general format automatically changing to custom (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/190411-how-stop-general-format-automatically-changing-custom.html)

Cori

how to stop general format automatically changing to custom

I am typing 2-12 in general format. Excel automatically changes format to
custom and enters 12-Feb. When I select cell and change change format back to
general, Excel then changes contents of cell to 39490. How can I enter 2-12
and have it remain 2-12?

Mike H

how to stop general format automatically changing to custom

Hi,

type an apostrophe first '

Mike

"Cori" wrote:

I am typing 2-12 in general format. Excel automatically changes format to
custom and enters 12-Feb. When I select cell and change change format back to
general, Excel then changes contents of cell to 39490. How can I enter 2-12
and have it remain 2-12?

ward376

how to stop general format automatically changing to custom

AFAIK, you'll have to pre-format the cell as text.

Cliff Edwards

RagDyeR

how to stop general format automatically changing to custom

This is probably the most asked question in these groups.

Format the cell to TEXT *before* you enter the data,
OR
Precede the data with an apostrophe
'2-12
Where the apostrophe is not visible in the cell but can be seen in the
formula.
This tells XL that what follows will be text.
--

HTH,

RD