Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default LOGIC

Thank you for looking, I am stuck. Basically I have been asked to provide
some information regarding how well we are logistically supporting our
stores. Here is a brief synapsis...

Imagine there are 1000 stores that receive any number of 8 items from a
wharehouse. The thing is that these items are scheduled for delivery through
out the week based upon an "estimated" need. What that means is that store 1
may be receiving any number of the 8 products but they get them delivered on
different days. To compound the issue, store 2 may also get any number of
the 8 products delieverd...but their delivery days may be completely
different than store 1.

Delivery Fees work this way...there is a $30 trip fee charged for making a
trip to the store (no matter how many items are being delivered) and then
each item has its own delivery fee of $5. So if 1 item is delivered it costs
$35 for the trip (30+5). If 4 items are delivered it would cost $50
(30+(4*5)). As you can see the biggest expense is just having the delivery
person go out to the store.

I have been asked to take a look at the data and locate delivery days that
can potentially be adjusted t o bring costs down. Basically we are looking
for delivery locations that are having 1 (potentially 2) items delivered on a
given day that could have that item delivered as part of another trip the day
before or the day after. Obviously the goal here is to avoid the costly and
hopefully avoidable $30 trip charges. So here is where I am needing help
with my logic...

I only want to highlight these days...maybe prepare alist that tells me days
and items to take a look at. Certain locations need the ability to specify
certain frequency and day specific deliveries which is why I am wary of using
solver.

I am actually pretty easy when it comes to the application used..I just am
having difficulty geting at the data the way I would like. I have included
some data in .CSV format to model what I may see. Take a look at Store2 Item
5 & 7...these are two dates that I would be interested in because they are
teh only item being delivered on a particular day and store is not receiving
those items the day before or after. Tore3 Item 5 is another example.
Store 3 Item 7 is not a good example because even though item 7 is the only
item being delivered on Saturday...there is a scheduled delivery for Fridays
as well. This is an example of where a store needs to have the ability to
control their deliveries.

Again thank you for looking...any suggestions are welcome. Do not limit the
logic to needing to be done in excel...as long as I have a grasp on a logical
way to accomplish this I should be fine to use whatever application will
facillitate it.

Store,Item,Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu,Fri,Sat,Sun
Store1,Item1,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,N,N
Store1,Item2,N,N,N,Y,N,N,N