-   -   How to use Monte Carlo Simulation in Excel? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/189580-how-use-monte-carlo-simulation-excel.html)

Suparna

How to use Monte Carlo Simulation in Excel?

Lars-Åke Aspelin[_2_]

How to use Monte Carlo Simulation in Excel?

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 09:16:01 -0700, Suparna
wrote:

Niek Otten

How to use Monte Carlo Simulation in Excel?

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

James Silverton[_2_]

Niek wrote on Sun, 1 Jun 2008 18:29:38 +0200:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm

Possibly there may be a caution on the page but RAN(), in the
earlier versions of Excel is not very good.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

[email protected]

How to use Monte Carlo Simulation in Excel?

On Jun 1, 9:26*am, Lars-Åke Aspelin wrote:

Great pointer!

Going a little off-topic, but hopefully finding some interest among
readers of this thread....

Can anyone provide VB code that demonstrates how to generate random
data in a normal distribution with known (sampling) mean and standard
deviation __without__ relying on Excel features such as NORMINV()?

I do not want to rely on Excel features because I actually want to
translate the solution into C. (For a Unix system, not Windows.)

I did this a few years ago, but I've forgotten how.

I think I used Box-Mueller. But when I look at the algorithm today, I
do not see how it works for a specific mean and standard deviation.

Extra credit: It would be ideal if I could use a beta distribution
instead of a normal distribution. (That is, I am interested in
__both__.) But I have never understood the theory and how to control
the shape of the curve using the alpha and beta parameters. And
perhaps for that reason, I have never understood how to implement it
in C.

Again, I played with it some years ago. But I have little memory of
what I learned, if anything.

Anyway, any turnkey solutions would be appreciated. I don't have much
time to spend on this, and I have access to a Unix system for only a
short time.

TIA.

Jerry W. Lewis

How to use Monte Carlo Simulation in Excel?

One possibility would be to use the VBA routines for inverse distributions
that are available in
http://members.aol.com/iandjmsmith/Examples.xls.

These could be translated into C, and are much more accurate than the native
Excel functions.

Jerry

" wrote:

On Jun 1, 9:26 am, Lars-Ã…ke Aspelin wrote:

[...]

BTW, Box-Muller generates N(0,1) variates from U(0,1) variates. N(0,1)*S+m
follows the N(m,S^2) distribution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-Muller_transform

Jerry