-   -   Preventing other users from opening hidden worksheets (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/189358-preventing-other-users-opening-hidden-worksheets.html)

pjk@boro

Preventing other users from opening hidden worksheets

I have a workbook to which only i have the password. All other users open it
as "read only". Within the book are some hidden worksheets. However, even
when the book is opened as "read only", a user is able to unhide these
sheets. I've tried using "Tools-Options-View-Hide Tabs" &
"Format-Sheet-Hide", all to no avail.
Is there an easy way I can prevent this?
thanks in anticipation.

Arvi Laanemets

Preventing other users from opening hidden worksheets

Hi

Open VBA Editor (Ctrl+F11). Usually there will be VBA-Project Explorer
window, Properties window (both at left), and Code window (at right) opened.
When Properties window is closed, you can open it from View menu (Excel
2000).

In VBA Project window, select the sheet, you want to hide, and in Properties
window, set it's Visible property to xlSheetVeryHidden. Now the user can
make this sheet visible only from VBA-Project Properties window.

To prevent users meddle with VBA Project Properties too, right-click on your
VBA project in Project window (the object with your workbook name is
brackets), select VBA Project properties from drop-down, activate Protection
tab, check 'Lock Project from viewing', and set password.

(Store the password somewhere, or you may have some trouble later)

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<attarkon.ee )

"pjk@boro" wrote in message
I have a workbook to which only i have the password. All other users open
it
as "read only". Within the book are some hidden worksheets. However, even
when the book is opened as "read only", a user is able to unhide these
sheets. I've tried using "Tools-Options-View-Hide Tabs" &
"Format-Sheet-Hide", all to no avail.
Is there an easy way I can prevent this?
thanks in anticipation.

Bob Flanagan[_2_]

Preventing other users from opening hidden worksheets

Be aware that password protection is extremely weak in Excel. Any user who
wants to can get at the hidden sheets, no matter how hidden, if they want
to. If a user should not see the data, then don't send it to them.

Robert Flanagan
Macro Systems
http://www.add-ins.com

"pjk@boro" wrote in message
I have a workbook to which only i have the password. All other users open
it
as "read only". Within the book are some hidden worksheets. However, even
when the book is opened as "read only", a user is able to unhide these
sheets. I've tried using "Tools-Options-View-Hide Tabs" &
"Format-Sheet-Hide", all to no avail.
Is there an easy way I can prevent this?
thanks in anticipation.

Gord Dibben

Preventing other users from opening hidden worksheets

Protect the workbook under ToolsProtectionProtect Workbook.

After you have hidden the sheet, that would be.

See Bob's caveat about Excel security.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP