-   -   Convert numbers to text string (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/188434-convert-numbers-text-string.html)

GARY

Convert numbers to text string

A1 has a 'General' Number format and it contains:
1062110181110621101811

What function should I use to convert the contents of A1 to a text
string and what is the syntax?

Pete_UK

Convert numbers to text string

I think you will find that your "number" is actually text, as there
are too many digits for Excel to recognise as a number.

Anyway, you can do this in a helper cell:

=A1&""

to convert it to text.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On May 22, 12:32*am, GARY wrote:
A1 has a 'General' Number format and it contains:
1062110181110621101811

What function should I use to convert the contents of A1 to a text
string and what is the syntax?

GARY

Convert numbers to text string

Thanks, Pete.

Now, can you help with this too?

COL A has 2,374 cells containing 9-character strings that look like
this:

102050013
102050016
110103030
116300004
161180034

COL B contains 4,800 cells containing up to 27-characters strings that
look like this:

102050001102050013
102050011102050016
106211018116040018116300004
110103012110103030
116040018116300004
161180032161180034
170212022170212025
174301015174301034174301040
174301017174301036174301041
174301034174301040
174301036174301041
174320014174320025
179221003179221008179221016

How do I search COL B for strings that match those in COL A?

GARY

[...]

How do I search for strings in COL B that match strings in COL A?