Nickornyk

Default 10,000 addresses in column A; divided into 4 sections across.

I copied address off the internet. They are all isted in column A.

example:
First Place Awards
1234 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 11111

How do I get row 2 to column b and row 3 to column c?

What I want.
A B C
First Place Awards 1234 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 11111

I have 10,000 address all in this one column that I'd like to have seperated
into 3 columns. I don't have the time to cut and paste.

Any way I can do this?
Dave Peterson

Always 3 cells per address and no gap between addresses???

If yes, put this in B1
=INDEX($A:$A,MOD(COLUMN()-2,3)+1+(ROW()-1)*3)
and drag it to C1 and D1

Then drag B1:D1 down until you run out of data.

--

Dave Peterson
Max

One way to try ..

Assume data is in col A, A1 down
with one blank row in-between
groups of 3 lines each

First Place Awards
1234 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 11111

2nd Place Awards
1235 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 11111

Put in say, C1:

=OFFSET($A$1,ROWS($A$1:A1)*4-4+COLUMNS($A$1:A1)-1,)

Copy C1 across to E1,
fill down until zeros appear, signalling exhaustion of data

Then copy cols C to E and paste special as values either in-situ or
elsewhere

If the data is w/o the single blank rows separating the groups of 3's, put
instead in C1:

=OFFSET($A$1,ROWS($A$1:A1)*3-3+COLUMNS($A$1:A1)-1,)

Then copy across to E1 and fill down as before
--
Rgds
Max
"Nickornyk" wrote in message
I copied address off the internet. They are all isted in column A.

example:
First Place Awards
1234 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 11111

How do I get row 2 to column b and row 3 to column c?

What I want.
A B

First Place Awards 1234 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 11111

I have 10,000 address all in this one column that I'd like to have

seperated
into 3 columns. I don't have the time to cut and paste.

Any way I can do this?

Gord Dibben

Nick

Are the addresses consistenly 3 rows per your example?

If one column and your data is consistently 3 rows, this macro will work.

Sub ColtoRows_NoError()
Dim Rng As Range
Dim i As Long
Dim j As Long
Dim nocols As Integer
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Set Rng = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp)
j = 1
On Error Resume Next
nocols = InputBox("Enter Number of Columns Desired")
For i = 1 To Rng.Row Step nocols
Cells(j, "A").Resize(1, nocols).Value = _
Application.Transpose(Cells(i, "A").Resize(nocols, 1))
j = j + 1
Next
Range(Cells(j, "A"), Cells(Rng.Row, "A")).ClearContents
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

If more than one original column, post back with more details.

If unfamiliar with macros see David McRitchie's "getting started" site.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:51:04 -0800, Nickornyk
wrote:

I copied address off the internet. They are all isted in column A.

example:
First Place Awards
1234 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 11111

How do I get row 2 to column b and row 3 to column c?

What I want.
A B C
First Place Awards 1234 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 11111

I have 10,000 address all in this one column that I'd like to have seperated
into 3 columns. I don't have the time to cut and paste.

Any way I can do this?

Alan Beban

Nickornyk wrote:
I copied address off the internet. They are all isted in column A.

example:
First Place Awards
1234 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 11111

How do I get row 2 to column b and row 3 to column c?

What I want.
A B C
First Place Awards 1234 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 11111

I have 10,000 address all in this one column that I'd like to have seperated
into 3 columns. I don't have the time to cut and paste.

Any way I can do this?

If the functions in the freely downloadable file at
http://home.pacbell.net/beban are available to your workbook, and if the
addresses are always 3lines, no gaps between them

=ArrayReshape(a1:a30000,10000,3) array entered into B1:D10000

Alan Beban

Lady Layla

Download the free add-in Asap Utilities. They have a great Advanced transposer
that you basically highlight the area of data, tell it how many columns and it
does it's job

www.asap-utilities.com

"Nickornyk" wrote in message
: I copied address off the internet. They are all isted in column A.
:
: example:
: First Place Awards
: 1234 Fifth Avenue
: New York, NY 11111
:
: How do I get row 2 to column b and row 3 to column c?
:
: What I want.
: A B C
: First Place Awards 1234 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 11111
:
: I have 10,000 address all in this one column that I'd like to have seperated
: into 3 columns. I don't have the time to cut and paste.
:
: Any way I can do this?

Nickornyk

Yes, lets say always 3 cells.

I pasted the formula into B1. But, when wrote drag to C1 and D1, I got
lost. Do you mean copy from B1 and paste across then down. Just not too
clear on it.

Thanks
Nickornyk

Nickornyk wrote:

I copied address off the internet. They are all isted in column A.

example:
First Place Awards
1234 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 11111

How do I get row 2 to column b and row 3 to column c?

What I want.
A B C
First Place Awards 1234 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 11111

I have 10,000 address all in this one column that I'd like to have seperated
into 3 columns. I don't have the time to cut and paste.

Any way I can do this?

--

Dave Peterson

Nickornyk

Your macro was amazing. It really helped me alot. Maybe you can help with
the spaces I have now.

I have various spaces throughout the spreadsheet. Not always the same
amount of spaces. How do I delete the empty rows so I can run your macro?

I have 10,000 address and my spreadsheet goes down to 67,000.

wrote:

I copied address off the internet. They are all isted in column A.

example:
First Place Awards
1234 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 11111

How do I get row 2 to column b and row 3 to column c?

What I want.
A B C
First Place Awards 1234 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 11111

I have 10,000 address all in this one column that I'd like to have seperated
into 3 columns. I don't have the time to cut and paste.

Any way I can do this?

Gord Dibben

Nick

Select the column and F5SpecialBlanks and OK

With these blanks selected, right-click and DeleteEntire Row and OK.

BTW Excel has 65536 rows maximum.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP