-   -   Alternative for Vlookup output of #N/A if data not found? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/186714-alternative-vlookup-output-n-if-data-not-found.html)

mcmilja

Alternative for Vlookup output of #N/A if data not found?

Hello,

Is there an alternative for the Vlookup function output of #N/A when data is
not found? The reason I ask is because I need to use an If function based on
the Vlookup output if the data is not found such as =IF(K2="#N/A","SPARE",)
but the function does not recognize #N/A.

Thanks!
Jaret

Dave Peterson

Alternative for Vlookup output of #N/A if data not found?

=if(isna(k2),"it's an n/a error","it's not an n/a error")

But you can do the same kind of thing in your =vlookup() formula:

=if(isna(vlookup(...)),"it's an error",vlookup(...))

And if you're using xl2007, you can look at =iferror() in excel's help.

--

Dave Peterson

David Biddulph[_2_]

Alternative for Vlookup output of #N/A if data not found?

Your formula is looking for the text string #N/A (the quote marks tell it to
look for a text string).

Try =IF(ISNA(K2),"SPARE",)
--
David Biddulph

"mcmilja" wrote in message
Hello,

Is there an alternative for the Vlookup function output of #N/A when data
is
not found? The reason I ask is because I need to use an If function based
on
the Vlookup output if the data is not found such as
=IF(K2="#N/A","SPARE",)
but the function does not recognize #N/A.

Thanks!
Jaret

mcmilja

Alternative for Vlookup output of #N/A if data not found?

Thank You!

"mcmilja" wrote in message
Hello,

Is there an alternative for the Vlookup function output of #N/A when data
is
not found? The reason I ask is because I need to use an If function based
on
the Vlookup output if the data is not found such as
=IF(K2="#N/A","SPARE",)
but the function does not recognize #N/A.

Thanks!
Jaret

mcmilja

Alternative for Vlookup output of #N/A if data not found?

Thanks! This did the trick...