-   -   displaying numbers in parentheses (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/185943-displaying-numbers-parentheses.html)

zanny101

displaying numbers in parentheses

I would like to display numbers in parentheses but excel automatically reads
it as a formula. Is there a way of formatting the cell so that such numbers
can be displayed? For example I want to enter: -0.15 (1.20)
thanks!
--
zanny101

Peo Sjoblom

displaying numbers in parentheses

Use custom format

0.00_);(0.00)

Peo Sjoblom

"zanny101" wrote in message
I would like to display numbers in parentheses but excel automatically
reads
it as a formula. Is there a way of formatting the cell so that such
numbers
can be displayed? For example I want to enter: -0.15 (1.20)
thanks!
--
zanny101

zanny101

displaying numbers in parentheses

Thanks for you reply. I tried doing as you suggest but the number was still
read by excel as a formula. Instead I tried typing a single quotation mark '
before the numbers and that seems to be working

regards
--
zanny101

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote: